The flexible MVNO Billing Solution with unlimited per-site license presents great business opportunities for mobile operators
In today's market, MVNO faces several challenges.
To provide exceptional customer experience and grow a subscriber base while keeping the costs low in such a rapidly changing environment requires a lot of flexibility. An operator needs to quickly deploy new services, implement various monetization strategies and integrate with other applications to maintain a lead position in this increasingly competitive marketplace.
PortaOne’s MVNO billing software supports all of the above-mentioned goals and helps operators to scale while reducing operational costs.
We offer IP telephony for social networks and a diverse mobile network lineup as well as hosted IPPBX and IP-based residential text/voice/video. PortaBilling Oracularius helps us market these services in attractive packages for different customer segments.”> Read more about Multiregional Transit Telecom success story
Key benefits of MVNO billing and service provisioning by PortaOne
- The system includes a product catalog, customer management, service provisioning modules into a variety of HLR/HSS, OCS for MVNO real-time charging, CDR file mediation, invoicing and business analytics
- Fully open architecture allows integration with core network, CRM, ERP, accounting and other components to be performed by PortaOne, in-house developers or a third party
- Per-site license unlimited in terms of subscribers, calls, etc. significantly reduces an operator’s TCO (total costs of ownership)
- Supports full MVNO (when you own network core components such as HLR), thin (when you only do MVNO billing) and OTT (when you handle voice and messages via your own VoIP infrastructure) solutions support
- The same installation & license can be used to operate as an MVNE for other operators or to deploy VAS (value-added services) such as IP Centrex
- 24/7/365 support & maintenance includes all new features and updates for the platform
- Every component is operated in a high-availability cluster; additional levels of reliability can be achieved via an extra geo-redundant site
- PortaOne’s agile development cycle of 7 weeks means that the delivery of a new functionality can be accomplished in an extremely short time frame
MVNO billing platform with open architecture
PortaBilling is a highly reliable BSS platform with an open architecture that can meet even the most strict requirements for MVNO software.
Access to the API, data structure and even the source code allows an MNVO to build custom-tailored services, implement different plans & promotions, and seamlessly integrate with third party software.
For integration & customization projects you are no longer locked into a vendor’s terms. Although we offer development services for our customers, you may choose your own development resources if that provides faster time-to-market or lower cost.
Unlimited license reduces MVNO’s TCO
The license is unlimited and perpetual. On average, it provides a 2-3 times lower TCO than a “per subscriber” billing solution.
While expanding, the MVNO only needs to upgrade its hardware to a more powerful CPU, and then it can increase the total number of calls or subscribers without owing any extra license fees.
Furthermore, system updates and even new functionality are included at no extra cost as part of the maintenance contract to ensure that the system is up-to-date and has the most recently released MVNO billing features.
Always maintaining technology advantage
A software version update is a dreadful term for an owner of BSS, network switch or even a simple laptop. However, access to the latest functionality is the key to maintaining competitive advantage. PortaBilling solves this in an innovative way that allows operators to move ahead with software updates in small, controlled “steps” at their desired pace, and thus provides access to new features while securing the overall stability of their existing platform.
When one operates in a dual-version mode instead of performing a “mass update,” only a subset of “pilot” customers can be moved from one version to another (preserving balances, service configuration data, etc.). The results are monitored and then the next batch of customers can be migrated. From the customer’s perspective this is fully transparent and no changes are required on his / her phone, etc.
From MVNO to MNVE platform
To scale, a virtual operator doesn’t only grow their customer base, but also jumps on new opportunities like becoming a service provider for the IoT industry or even for other MNVOs.
Because of its unlimited license, the PortaOne's billing solution can be easily turned into a MVNE platform to provide services for other MVNOs.
MVNO solution architecture
The solution consists of the following components:
Core mobile network
(MVNE infrastructure), which includes HLR (centralized repository of subscriber data), MSC (voice call switching) and SGSN (data switching).
Mobile networks frequently already include SMSC (for processing SMS), USSD GW (for operations such as balance check, top-up, etc.) and IVR (for self-care via phone, etc.). If any of these components are not currently available, they can be delivered as part of a PortaOne solution.
In the case of prepaid services on 2.5G / 3G networks, a CAMEL gateway interface between the network and billing is required to allow real-time authorization and charging.
Service provisioning (BSS)
is used to configure service parameters and acts as a central repository of customer data. Every change in BSS (e.g. new customer activation) is instantaneously provisioned to HLR and other network elements. BSS handles product catalog and consolidated customer balance management, provides credit card payments and top-up voucher inventory, applies recurrent charging, issues invoices, and allows staff to perform monitoring & troubleshooting.
SIM card inventory
allows management and activation of SIM cards.
OCS (Online Charging System)
allows real-time charging for activity such as voice calls or sent SMS. PortaBilling OCS is fully converged; it enables charging for voice calls, SMS, data and VAS (such as IPTV or ring-tone) and creating an unlimited number of service wallets, quotas and discount plans.
If there are external sources of CDRs (e.g. roaming partners) this is handled by the CDR import module. A variety of CDR source formats is supported. CDRs are extracted from each incoming file and pre-processed for validation, data merge, and the like. Then collections of CDRs are rated and charges are applied to the customer / vendor account.
allows consolidated customer balance management, provides top-up voucher inventory, real-time balance top-ups, flexible recurring charging, perform monitoring & troubleshooting and issues.
Step-by-step illustration of MVNO service provisioning and charging
- Products and services are configured in PortaBilling, and available SIM cards are imported to the inventory.
- When a customer signs up for a service, he is provisioned in PortaBilling as a customer with one (or more) accounts underneath. Each account represents an actual phone line, and is assigned a phone number (MSISDN) and associated with a SIM card (identified by IMSI).
- Once the account is active, PortaBilling connects to HLR and creates an entry for the SIM card / MSISDN.
- Now, when the customer inserts the SIM card and powers on the phone, he can register to the network.
- When a call is made, MSC performs call authorization in PortaBilling to verify that the customer has sufficient balance, is allowed to call that destination, and so on.
- Funds are locked to cover the initial period of the call, and a confirmation is sent to MSC. When the period is over, authorization for the subsequent period is sent, and so on.
- When the call is over, a CDR record is immediately produced.
- The same process repeats for SMS, data services, or VAS. Since funds are authorized in real time, the end user can make use of multiple services simultaneously without exceeding the balance.
- If usage data is delivered from a third-party network as a file (e.g. TAP3 file for roaming data), CDRs are extracted, mediation/verification is performed, and then the CDRs are rated and added to individual customers’ accounts.
- If a customer sends a USSD request (such as “check my balance”), it is delivered to USSD GW and then to PortaBilling via the Webservices API. The response is forwarded back to the user.
Optimize daily operations
- Use your own mobile core, or run as an MVNO
- Customer auto-provisioning to HLR / HSS
- Flexible CDR file mediation (TAP3, etc.)
- Online charging: Diameter Gy / Ro; RADIUS; CAMEL
Provide better experience for end user
- Customer self-care portal and IVR
- USSD info and SMS notifications
- Online payments and top-ups
- Consolidated bill for all mobile services
Excel in service reliability
- Default full data redundancy
- Clustered components for high availability
- Ultimate availability (99.999%) with Oracle RAC
- Site redundancy and zero-downtime updates
- Use the platform for VAS billing
- Minute bundles with recurring monthly fees
- Flexible internet quotas with top-ups and add-ons
- Multi-service bundles, triple play
Stay ahead of the competition
- Unlimited scalability with no per-user or per-feature costs
- Open platform that is quickly and easily expandable
- Minimal administrative activity
- International mobile top-ups
Rapidly increase your sales volume
- Multiple currencies and markets
- Distributors, resellers, white-label operators
- Usage/payment-based commissions
- Cross-service promotions and discounts
- High availability
- HLR /HSS integration
- Diameter / RADIUS AAA
- CAMEL billing phase 1-3
- TAP3 CDR file processing
- SIM-card inventory management
- SMS notifications
- USSD support
- Voucher top-ups
- Customer self-care portal
- IVR self-care
- Trouble-ticket system
- Webservices API
- Prepaid / postpaid balance
- Balance overdraft protection
- Recurring charges
- Customer hierarchy
- Lifetime management
- Service wallets
- Real-time charging per call/SMS
- Data transfer charging (GPRS / 3G / 4G / LTE)
- Flexible rating formula
- MO / MT charging
- Location-based charging
- Peak / off-peak charging
- CUGs / Friends & Family
- VAS charging
- Usage quotas
- Adjustable invoice layout
- Fraud detection & prevention
- Full audit log
- GDPR compliance
MVNO / MVNE