Become a wireless ISP providing WiFi access points, with real-time service provisioning and flexible top-up options
PortaBilling is a unified service delivery platform which includes the following components:
Service provisioning (BSS)
Service provisioning (BSS) is used to configure service parameters and acts as a central repository of customer data. Every change in BSS (e.g. new customer activation) has an immediate effect on the network. BSS handles product catalog and consolidated customer balance management, provides credit card payments and top-up voucher inventory, applies recurrent charging, issues invoices, and allows staff to perform monitoring & troubleshooting.
The AAA (real-time Authentication, Authorization and Accounting)
The AAA (real-time Authentication, Authorization and Accounting) server functions as an OCS and allows real-time charging for data sessions. PortaBilling radius AAA offers flexible options for quota management, allows an unlimited number of service wallets, and enables location and content-based charging.
ASN-GW (Access Service Network Gateway)
ASN-GW (Access Service Network Gateway), which consolidates session/mobility management over the radio network and interfaces with PortaBilling AAA for subscriber authentication and charging.
Wi-Fi access point
Wi-Fi access point, which manages locally connected Wi-Fi users and uses PortaBilling AAA to authenticate them and report their usage. This may be a simple access point installed in an airport café (where people use prepaid vouchers to get online), enterprise Wi-Fi, or Wi-Fi carrier offload (where roaming customers with smartphones can place calls over Wi-Fi).
How does it work?
Roll out your radio access network by installing Wi-Fi access points to provide adequate radio coverage for the desired region.
PortaBilling BSS is installed in your data center (typically in the same location as other core network elements, such as routers and ASN-GW).
Create your service catalog in PortaBilling. This allows specific services for subscribers (such Wi-Fi or VoIP), assigns rating methods (e.g. charging based on the total time connected or total data transferred) and defines auxiliary service parameters, such as the maximum allowed bandwidth during peak hours.
Define your products in PortaBilling. Each product is a bundle consisting of:
Prepaid “service wallets” with the ability to perform top-up;
Renewable data transfer quotas (with an option to roll over unused data to the next period);
Usage charges (per megabyte, minute, SMS, etc.);
Additional services (e.g. OTT VoIP calling).
You may also create a set of add-on products (e.g. additional 10GB of data per month), which your customers can order “à la carte” using the self-care portal.
Generate batches of vouchers for prepaid Wi-Fi services.
Optionally, create a network of resellers (with an unlimited number of sub-reseller levels) and distributors.
When a customer attempts to connect, the following happens.For Wi-Fi:
The customer connects to a Wi-Fi access point from his laptop or smartphone. When attempting to browse the web, he is redirected to a “captive” portal where a prepaid voucher number or username/password can be entered.
The access point sends a RADIUS authentication request to PortaBilling, PortaBilling verifies the credentials provided and enables the session to continue. A “normal access” mode is activated on the access point, so that the customer has full access to all Internet resources.
When the session is over (the allowed time or transfer quota is used up), the customer is again redirected to the portal to refill his balance.
Since we installed PortaSwitch in 2007, ICOSNET has increased its turnover by 80% and its network traffic by 120%. PortaSwitch Procinctus has helped us achieve a maximum level of performance, reliability and service diversity. We look to PortaSwitch Procinctus with a lot of confidence to support and manage our existing and new services.”> Read more about ICOSNET success story
Optimize your daily operations:
- Instantaneous service provisioning
- Flexible data transfer quotas with top-ups and add-ons
- Automatic policy provisioning (QoS, bandwidth, etc.)
- Prepaid voucher inventory management
Increase your profitability:
- Flexible rating options (per time, per megabyte, etc.)
- Promotional pricing during off-peak time
- Recurring fees and renewable quotas
- Bundle VoWiFi (VoIP over WiFi) and Internet data access
Provide a better experience for end users:
- Customer self-care portal
- Self-management of quotas, top-ups and add-ons
- Consolidated bill for all digital services
- Detailed history of transactions/sessions
Stay ahead of the competition:
- Unlimited scalability with no per-user or per-feature costs
- High-availability with 99.999% uptime
- Open platform that is quickly and easily expandable
Excel in service reliability:
- Rigorously tested new versions
- Default full data redundancy
- Clustered components for high availability
- Ultimate availability (99.999%) with Oracle RAC
- Site redundancy and zero-downtime updates
Rapidly increase your sales volume:
- Multiple currencies and markets
- Resellers (white-label operators)
- Real-time charging (RADIUS, Diameter Gy, Ro)
- Prepaid and postpaid billing
- Real-time balance control, zero revenue leakage
- Customer alerts (email, SMS)
- Bundling of services with VoWiFi, internet data access, and IPTV
- Policies (QoS, bandwidth, etc.)
- Fair-usage policy enforcement
- Service wallets
- Content-based charging
- Location-based charging
- Renewable data quotas with optional rollover
- Shared data/minute plans for families
- Voucher inventory
- Customer self-care portal
- Consolidated bill
- Gradual software updates in telecom: Presenting Dual Version solution
- Integration with Microsoft Teams: a flexible and cost-saving solution
- Professional service for Tier-1 CSP: Telekom Malaysia case study
- PortaBilling for MVNO: TravelSIM Australia case study
- PortaSwitch On Multiple Sites
- PortaSwitch to enable MVNO business: HelloSIM Case Study