Use PortaBilling B/OSS to operate a telco cloud with software-defined networking (SDN) and network function virtualization (NFV).
Software-defined networking (SDN) refers to separating the data forwarding and control planes of a network so that all the routing decisions on the network are performed by an SDN controller. Simplified and commodified network routers simply forward packets to the specified port. This greatly simplifies overall network management and allows you to dynamically change network design with just a few configuration options or lines of code in the controller. OpenFlow is the current standard for communication between network elements and the controller.
Another disruptive innovation is network function virtualization (NFV). Applications running in a cloud replace traditional network hardware elements such as firewalls, VPN routers, or SBCs. Even equipment installed on the end-user’s premises can be replaced with a combination of a simple access router and virtual CPE app running in a cloud. This allows dynamic allocation of resources (e.g. launching more firewall apps during business hours, when corporate customers are active) and extremely fast deployment of new versions or types of NFV appliances. Needless to say, SDN is the prerequisite for this, since otherwise it is impossible to efficiently manage all the traffic flows between customers, dynamically allocated NFV appliances and the outside world.
While traditional networks could survive for a few more years, there is now an Internet-of-Things (IoT) which exponentially increases the amount of connected devices. Moreover, the capability for configuring and troubleshooting devices themselves is very limited. An intelligent network with centralized management is required.
All of this allows a software telco to emerge. This telco does not really own the physical network infrastructure; it rents a data-forwarding capacity, where necessary, and utilizes a cloud to run its collection of NFV appliances and applications. So now the only defining characteristic of a telco is the array of services it can offer (defined by NFV appliances) and its customers’ data and ability to provision the service (so that every customer gets what he needs).
And so B/OSS, which contains customer data and information about subscriptions to the service and provisions this data to the network (SDN controller, NFV appliances, etc.), becomes the most important resource a telco has – its heart and soul!
PortaBilling makes this happen. It can store and manage millions of subscriber records, with detailed product and service configurations for each of them. It can provision data to network elements such as ONOS or OpenDaylight SDN controllers and individual NFVs. It can gather charging events information from the network and bill your customers to ensure a constant revenue steam.
How does it work?
- The telco launches an SDN with centralized SDN controller(s). A collection of NFV appliances (and, optionally, virtual CPEs) is launched in the cloud.
- Products and services are defined in PortaBilling.
- Customers sign up (using a traditional web portal, mobile app, etc.) and are allocated the desired product combination in PortaBilling.
- The subscriber configuration is delivered to the SDN controller and NFV appliances. For example, the controller knows that all incoming/outgoing traffic should be forwarded to a firewall + bandwidth control NFV appliance, and the NFV appliance knows that this customer has “parental protection” on and a maximum bandwidth of 2Mbps.
- The customer plugs in the access router and starts using the service.
- If the customer subsequently buys an additional product (e.g. voice service), new configuration settings (e.g. QoS configuration for VoIP traffic) are automatically delivered to the network.
- When a new version of the firewall NFV appliance is released, routing on the SDN controller is simply changed to send packets to the new cloud process. No more risky on-premises firmware updates!
- PortaBilling produces invoices and enables customers to adjust the service configuration, sign up for new services, pay bills, and so on.
PortaSwitch was the best possible choice. Unlike many other software products on the market, PortaSwitch gave us very attractive options to create as many SIP accounts as we wanted, and as many interconnections with our partners as we needed. All of this amazing functionality is available through a very simple interface that required a really short time to configure. We have never experienced any downtime with PortaSwitch. That has significantly lowered our labor costs and helped us stay on top of our customers’ expectations.”> Read more about Neide Telecom success story
Optimize daily operations
- Choose your own cloud infrastructure
- Integration with various SDN controllers
- Automated service provisioning
- Easy network component upgrades
Provide better experience for end-user
- Easily expandable service portfolio via NFV apps
- Full self-management of the service
- Online payments and top-ups
- Consolidated bill for all services
Excel in service reliability
- Default full data redundancy
- Clustered components for high availability
- Ultimate availability (99.999%) with Oracle RAC
- Site redundancy and zero-downtime updates
- Near-zero CAPEX for deploying new services
- Drastic reduction of OPEX
- Bundle additional services (voice, IPTV, etc.)
- Monetize IoT
Stay ahead of the competition
- Unlimited scalability with no per-user or per-feature costs
- Open platform that is quickly and easily expandable
- Minimum administrative effort
Rapidly increase your sales volume
- Multiple currencies and markets
- Distributors, resellers, white-label operators
- Usage/payment-based commissions
- Cross-service promotions and discounts
- High availability
- SDN controller integration
- NFV appliance provisioning
- Real-time charging
- Recurring charges
- VAS charging
- Customer self-care portal
- Webservices API
SDN / NFV
Toll-free calls (phone & Skype)
+1 866 747 8647
Calls & faxes from abroad:
+1 604 628 2508
Suite 408, 2963 Glen Drive
Coquitlam, BC, V3B 2P7