Become a wireless carrier providing WiMAX communications or WiFi access points, with real-time service provisioning and flexible top-up options.
PortaSwitch is a unified service delivery platform which includes the following components:
Service provisioning (B/OSS)
Service provisioning (B/OSS) is used to configure service parameters and acts as a central repository of customer data. Every change in B/OSS (e.g. new customer activation) has an immediate effect on the network. B/OSS handles product catalog and consolidated customer balance management, provides credit card payments and top-up voucher inventory, applies recurrent charging, issues invoices, and allows staff to perform monitoring & troubleshooting.
The AAA (real-time Authentication, Authorization and Accounting)
The AAA (real-time Authentication, Authorization and Accounting) server functions as an OCS and allows real-time charging for data sessions. PortaBilling radius AAA offers flexible options for quota management, allows an unlimited number of service wallets, and enables location and content-based charging.
ASN-GW (Access Service Network Gateway)
ASN-GW (Access Service Network Gateway), which consolidates session/mobility management over the radio network and interfaces with PortaBilling AAA for subscriber authentication and charging.
Wi-Fi Access point
Wi-Fi Access point, which manages locally connected Wi-Fi users and uses PortaBilling AAA to authenticate them and report their usage. This may be a simple access point installed in an airport café (where people use prepaid vouchers to get online), enterprise Wi-Fi, or Wi-Fi carrier offload (where roaming customers with smartphones can place calls over Wi-Fi).
How does it work?
Roll out your radio access network by installing WiMAX base-stations and/or Wi-Fi access points to provide adequate radio coverage for the desired region.
PortaBilling B/OSS is installed in your data center (typically in the same location as other core network elements, such as routers and ASN-GW).
Create your service catalog in PortaBilling. This allows specific services for subscribers (such Wi-Fi or VoIP), assigns rating methods (e.g. charging based on the total time connected or total data transferred) and defines auxiliary service parameters, such as the maximum allowed bandwidth during peak hours.
Define your products in PortaBilling. Each product is a bundle consisting of:
Prepaid “service wallets” with the ability to perform top-up;
Renewable data transfer quotas (with an option to roll over unused data to the next period);
Usage charges (per megabyte, minute, SMS, etc.);
Additional services (e.g. OTT VoIP calling).
You may also create a set of add-on products (e.g. additional 10GB of data per month), which your customers can order “à la carte” using the self-care portal.
Generate batches of vouchers for prepaid Wi-Fi services.
Optionally, create a network of resellers (with an unlimited number of sub-reseller levels) and distributors.
When a customer attempts to connect, the following happens.
ASN-GW sends a real-time authentication request to PortaBilling via RADIUS (using EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, or another applicable method). PortaBilling verifies that the customer is allowed to use the service and replies with a confirmation.
While the session is active, ASN-GW periodically sends accounting update (keep-alive) requests informing PortaBilling about the currently consumed amount of service. Upon receiving such a request, PortaBilling updates the quota counters and applies charges to the customer’s account.
When the funds in the customer’s account are depleted, PortaBilling sends a session disconnect request back to ASN-GW. Then the customer is hotlined, i.e. any attempts to browse the web are redirected to the self-care portal, where the customer can refill his balance.
The customer connects to a Wi-Fi access point from his laptop or smartphone. When attempting to browse the web, he is redirected to a “captive” portal where a prepaid voucher number or username/password can be entered.
The access point sends a RADIUS authentication request to PortaBilling, PortaBilling verifies the credentials provided and enables the session to continue. A “normal access” mode is activated on the access point, so that the customer has full access to all Internet resources.
When the session is over (the allowed time or transfer quota is used up), the customer is again redirected to the portal to refill his balance.
The PortaBilling Oracularius meets all of our company's operational requirements. Its unique advantages, combined with the responsiveness and reliability of PortaOne's engineering support, has made it an excellent choice for WaveNation.”> Read more about WaveNation success story
Optimize your daily operations:
- Instantaneous service provisioning
- Flexible data transfer quotas with top-ups and add-ons
- Automatic policy provisioning (QoS, bandwidth, etc.)
- Prepaid voucher inventory management
Increase your profitability:
- Flexible rating options (per time, per megabyte, etc.)
- Promotional pricing during off-peak time
- Recurring fees and renewable quotas
- Bundle VoWiFi (VoIP over WiFi) and VoWiMAX
Provide a better experience for end-users:
- Customer self-care portal
- Self-management of quotas, top-ups and add-ons
- Consolidated bill for all digital services
- Detailed history of transactions/sessions
Stay ahead of the competition:
- Unlimited scalability with no per-user or per-feature costs
- High-availability with 99.999% uptime
- Open platform that is quickly and easily expandable
Excel in service reliability:
- Rigorously tested new versions
- Default full data redundancy
- Clustered components for high availability
- Ultimate availability (99.999%) with Oracle RAC
- Site redundancy and zero-downtime updates
Rapidly increase your sales volume:
- Multiple currencies and markets
- Resellers (white-label operators)
- Real-time charging (RADIUS, Diameter Gy, Ro)
- Prepaid and postpaid billing
- Real-time balance control, zero revenue leakage
- Customer alerts (email, SMS)
- Bundling of services with VoWiFi, VoWIMAX and IPTV
- Policies (QoS, bandwidth, etc.)
- Fair-usage policy enforcement
- Service wallets
- Content-based charging
- Location-based charging
- Renewable data quotas with optional rollover
- Shared data/minute plans for families
- Voucher inventory
- Customer self-care portal
- Consolidated bill
WiFi / WiMAX
Toll-free calls (phone & Skype)
+1 866 747 8647
Calls & faxes from abroad:
+1 604 628 2508
Suite 408, 2963 Glen Drive
Coquitlam, BC, V3B 2P7