DID Exchange Among PortaSwitch® Owners
Example 1 DID Provisioning to PortaSwitch® Owners
Upload DID Numbers to the DID Inventory
Release DID Numbers to the DID Pool
Create a Pricing DID Batch
Create a Customer
Assign the Pricing DID Batch to the Customer
Example 2. Distributing DID Numbers Across Billing Environments
Configure the PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC on the Configuration Server
With PortaSwitch®, you can become an active player in the wholesale DID market by granting other service providers access to your DID inventory and enabling them to provision DIDs on-demand. In addition, if you provide hosting services to your customers (i.e. a customer operates in a separate billing environment), you can distribute the pool of DIDs across your own billing environments. Thereby you extend your clientele and become a wholesale DID provider.
This chapter provides you with instructions for how to configure a wholesale DID exchange in PortaSwitch®.
If you wish to buy DID numbers from another PortaSwitch® owner and provision them on-demand, please refer to the On-Demand DID Provisioning from PortaSwitch® Owners handbook.
As a configuration example, let us take the following basic scenario:
Your company, EasyDIDs, owns a pool of 10M DID numbers. Your wholesale partner, FastNet, is also a PortaSwitch® owner. FastNet plans to introduce residential services in their system and thus require DID numbers.
You configure access to your DID pool for on-demand DID provisioning and charge FastNet per DID number as follows:
· $2 activation fee;
· $5 monthly recurring fee.
Print the following page and use it to check off the operations you have completed while performing the system setup according to the instructions in this chapter. Please be sure to perform all of the operations in the order designated (all of the boxes should be checked), otherwise the service will not work.
The checklist below assumes that you have already configured the routing between your system and that of your DID buyers according to the instructions provided in the previous chapters.
Make sure you have configured the routing to the DID buyer’s system as described in the Basic Residential VoIP Service handbook (your DID buyer operates as a vendor)
Upload DID numbers to DID inventory
Release DID numbers to the DID pool
Create a pricing DID batch and define the DID markup within
Create a DID provisioning customer and define their web self-care credentials
Assign the pricing DID batch to this customer
Please refer to the Managing Available Phone Numbers (DID Inventory) handbook for instructions on how to upload DID numbers.
To use the DID numbers, release them to the DID pool.
1. In the Networking section of the admin interface, click DID Inventory.
2. Select the specific vendor batch from the Vendor Batch list and click Search.
3. Select the appropriate DIDs or alternatively, use the First N option to process a large number of DIDs simultaneously.
4. Select the Pool Management option and select Release DIDs to the Pool from the list.
5. Click the Apply button. On the refreshed page you will see that the DID numbers have now been unfrozen and released to the DID pool.
The pricing DID batch is a storage area for DID numbers that can be used for a particular purpose (e.g. to be provisioned to end users). Pricing batches allow you to apply additional charges for using DID numbers.
At this point create a pricing batch with a DID markup.
1. In the Networking section of the admin interface, click DID Inventory.
2. On the DID Inventory page, click DID Pricing.
3. Click Add to add a new batch.
4. Type in the batch name and select Customer from the Applied To list.
5. Click the Pricing Parameters link and select the Use Already Inventoried option from the DIDs section.
6. Define the currency for the DID markup and fill in the Pricing Parameters form.
· Additional Activation Fee – Type 2.
· Additional Recurring Fee – Type 5.
7. Click Save.
8. Click the Save button on the toolbar, or the Save icon on the far left-hand side of the row.
To enable your DID buyers to access your DID inventory and provision the numbers, you need to create a DID provisioning customer. This acts as a placeholder for all provisioned DID numbers and allows you to control the billing for their usage.
1. In the Participants section of the admin interface, choose Customers.
2. On the Customer Management page, click Add.
3. Fill in the New Customer form. Please note that there are several tabs on the screen that contain additional information.
The most important fields are:
Main form (top)
· Customer ID – Type a short name for the customer object; this will be used on the web interface.
· Balance Control – Specify the way the customer will pay for the service: choose Postpaid in this field.
· Currency – Choose the currency in which this customer will be billed.
· Permanent Credit Limit – Assign a credit limit for the customer.
Address Info tab
· Email – This is an email address used for distributing accounting information. Once a billing period finishes, a list of xDRs and other statistics are sent to this address.
· Alt. Phone – This is a phone number that can receive SMS notifications.
Web Self-Care tab
· Login – Specify the login that will be used by your DID buyer for on-demand DID provisioning.
· Password – Specify the password that will be used by your DID buyer for on-demand DID provisioning.
Life Cycle tab
· Billing Time Zone – This is the time zone in which the customer’s billing period will be closed.
· Billing Period – Frequency of invoice generation. For more details about the different available billing periods, see the PortaBilling Administrator Guide.
· Click Save.
To control charges for provisioned DID numbers, assign the pricing DID batch to your DID provisioning customer.
1. While on the Edit Customer page go to the Additional Info tab.
2. Select a previously created pricing DID batch in the Auto-Provision DIDs via Batch list.
3. Click Save.
The configuration is finished. Now provide your DID buyer with the DID provisioning customer’s web self-care credentials. As soon as a DID number is provisioned from your DID inventory, it will have the In Use status.
If you provide hosting services to your customers (i.e. a customer operates in a separate billing environment), you can distribute the pool of DIDs across your own billing environments and allow customers to provision them on-demand. When a call is made to the DID number, PortaSwitch® detects the billing environment account where it is provisioned and delivers the call to the callee.
To configure DID distribution across billing environments follow these steps:
To enable PortaSwitch® to detect a billing environment for an incoming call, it is necessary to configure the PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC.
For normal operation, the PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC must be deployed on a separate physical server located at a separate site. For testing purposes, however, you can deploy it on one of your SIP servers within the existing site. For either type of deployment, assign the virtual IP address to the PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC as the visible point of entry to your network.
1. Clone the currently active configuration.
2. From the Configuration Tree, select ClusterSuite->PortaSIPCluster.
3. Select the sip-cluster that you use to distribute the pool of DIDs.
4. Select the DispatchingSBC group.
5. In the vipaddr field specify the virtual IP address of your PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC. Since it is the point of entry to your network, the virtual IP address must be public.
Important! The PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC virtual IP address must not be defined as the service IP for any instances and must also not coincide with the PortaSIP® cluster virtual IP address.
6. Click the Instance create button.
7. Select the DispatchingSBC instance type
8. Select the SIP server where the PortaSIP® Dispatching SBC instance and its service IP will reside. Click Save.
9. Click the Save button to save the configuration and then the Verify button.
10. Verify the new configuration and click the Check / Apply button to apply it.
Note that the Apache service will need to be restarted, therefore apply the configuration during off-peak times.
Complete steps described in Example 1 to grant customers access to your DID inventory for on-demand DID provisioning.